Trust Maintenance & Administration

Property Assignments

How do I put my property into my trust that was drafted a couple of years ago? You will transfer your assets to your trust with property assignments (it is also known as trust funding). If you complete your trust with Shawna Murray Law, your property assignments will be taken care of. However, may have a need for this service after your trust was initially funded because you have acquired new property. Assets of significant value that are left out of the trust generally must be probated.

Trust Administration

What happens after my loved one, who has a trust, dies? Trust Administration services are available to help a surviving spouse or successor trustee take care of the post-mortem administration of a Trust and make the distributions as streamlined as possible. Services include legal advice and assistance with gathering the assets, satisfying creditors, filing appropriate tax returns, and then distributing the remaining assets.

Filing Heggstad Petitions

Does the Successor Trustee ever need to go to probate court? Sometimes. Occasionally a decedent will have created a Trust but for various reasons not all of their assets have been put into their trust (this is called “funding”) because the property assignments were not completed. Without proper funding, the assets not in the trust may need to be probated (e.g., real estate). In such cases, a “Heggstad Petition” can be filed with the court, requesting the court to allow the property to be assigned to the trust instead of having to probate that asset.

What to Expect

When hiring Shawna Murray, expect to hire an attorney who will provide you with personal care and attention. The first step will be getting to know you in order to understand what you would like to achieve. While working together to accomplish your goals, you will find that what can be a complex process will be made as stress-free as possible for you by Attorney Shawna Murray.

Forms of Payment

Copyright © 2017 Shawna Murray Law

Shawna Murray is licensed to practice law within the State of California. The information on this website is attorney advertising and has been created for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice nor does it predict the outcome of your case. An attorney-client relationship is formed only after we sign a written client services agreement.